TROUBLESHOOTING CONTEST VOTING
I have very carefully chosen contest software that has been tested to prevent voting fraud. Many contests are easy to hack with work arounds, and I wanted to be sure to keep this one honest, safe, and secure for the contestants, voters, and myself.
What this means is that there are a few rules you’ll need to follow to ensure voting success!
1. You can only vote once every 24 hours per email address. Voting does not refresh when you wake up in the morning, it refreshes after 24 hours have passed since your last vote.
2. Only one vote per IP address is allowed every 24 hours. So, if you are sharing WIFI with another voter, only one of you can vote. To see if you are sharing an IP address, type “What is my IP address?” Into Google from the device you are trying to vote from. You can try turning off your WIFI and voting from your cellular network to see if that helps. For some it has, for others it has not. (you must still be compliant with step 1 for this to work)
3. You must vote from a valid email address. I send you a validation link when you vote, and if you give us a mistyped or fake email address, you will not get that email and your vote will not be counted. You will be added to the BrindleBerry email list when you vote, but I will not sell or share your address with anyone. You can easily unsubscribe from any email I send you. (I make that easy)
4. You CANNOT turn off cookies on the brindleberrypetphoto.com website. Voting requires cookies. There is no way around that. If you don’t wish to allow cookies, you can’t vote.
CELL PHONES: From chatting with participants, it seems there are more errors from cell phones/tablets than computers. If you can vote from a laptop or desktop computer, it might be smoother as well.
LOST VALIDATION EMAILS: If you do not get a validation email from me, that could be due to a mistyped email address entry, or it could be due to your email provider.
1. Please type your address carefully when voting and double check before submitting.
2. Please check your spam folder for the email.
3. Add “firstname.lastname@example.org” to your whitelist/safe list to see if that prevents missing emails. (google to find out how your email host sets this up) Regrettably, I cannot control how your email host handles my emails – I have taken every step to prevent them from going into spam or from being blocked, but some services inevitably will. You can try voting from another email address if this persists.
If you are a contestant and your friends and family are having trouble voting, please pass on this information to them. I suspect this contest will get bigger as the months go on, and I won’t be able to keep up with answering the questions all by my lonesome over here! Tech isn’t perfect, so I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.