Did you know that 48% of victims of domestic violence delay leaving their abuser because they aren’t sure where to find safety, with their pet?
In honour of Domestic Violence Awareness month, my guest today is Mandi Pratt from Greyboy Pet Prints. Mandi once had to flee a domestic violence situation with her child and cat and now she’s a domestic violence advocate that speaks and teaches on this topic.
In today’s episode Mandi is going to share some helpful resources about keeping pets and their people TOGETHER during a crisis.
Mandi is also a talented pet photographer and pet artist who uses her Grandmother’s printing press to craft portrait etchings from photos of your pet. She has a special offer for our listeners that we’ll share with you at the end of the show!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Why domestic abuse stats increased during the pandemic.
- Why you should consult an expert to make a plan before you leave an abusive situation.
- What you can do if you suspect someone you know is being abused.
- Why it’s so important to keep victims of abuse with their pets.
- The best website to find a pet-friendly shelter.
- Of the many, many resources available for domestic abuse victims.
Resources from this episode:
- WEBSITE: Greyboy Pet Prints (Use coupon code “BRINDLEBERRY” to save 10%)
- BLOG: 5 Things to Know About Pets and Domestic Violence
- INSTAGRAM: Greyboy Pet Prints
- FACEBOOK: Greyboy Pet Prints
- PODCAST: Women Aware and Prepared
- INSTAGRAM: Women Aware and Prepared
- WEBSITE: The MEND Project
- WEBSITE: RedRover
- WEBSITE: Safe Place for Pets
- WEBSITE: DV Hotline (USA)
- WEBSITE: Family Violence Resources (Canada)
- WEBSITE: EndTAB Digital Safety
- WEBSITE: Parachutes for Pets
- WEBSITE: Power and Control Wheel
- PODCAST: Hiring an End-of-Life Dog Photographer With Sarah Ernhart