The first time I met a real life Wolfdog it was a magical experience. I started to imagine that one day I might share my home with a Wolfdog. I mean, how cool would it be to have a wild-looking pet that was actually domesticated like a dog??
But the more I learned about the Wolfdog, the more I realized that these animals are not just like dogs. They’re not fully domesticated, and not fully wild and many Wolfdogs that contain high wolf content find themselves displaced and not truly belonging anywhere.
Today’s guest is Georgina De Caigny. Georgina is the founder of Wolfdog Awareness and the Executive Director of Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary near Cochrane, Alberta Canada.
In this episode Georgina will share her personal experience with her pet Wolfdog named Kuna, and how she went on the journey from being a Wolfdog owner, to becoming an advocate for both Wolfdogs and Wolves.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What a Wolfdog is, and how they came to be
- The difference between a low, mid and high content Wolfdog
- The biggest challenges with owning a Wolfdog
- How owning a Wolfdog differs from owning a dog
- How the Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary came to be
- All about Wolfdog containment
- How you can help the Wolfdogs
- Where to find resources for Wolfdog ownership
Resources from this episode:
- WEBSITE: Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary
- FACEBOOK: Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary
- INSTAGRAM:Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary
- SHOP: Amazon Wishlist
- WEBSITE: Support the Sanctuary
- WEBSITE: Wolfdog Awareness
- FACEBOOK: Wolfdog Awareness
- INSTAGRAM: Wolfdog Awareness
- VIDEO: Between Dog and Wolf