I wanted to start off this episode by saying that today’s topic is a little bit controversial. I know that people have very strong opinions about spaying and neutering dogs and some of today’s conversation might not align with the beliefs amongst the general population of dog owners.
No matter your thoughts on the matter, we can all agree that spaying and neutering your pup is the surest way to ensure that no unwanted puppies are born. Nobody wants unwanted puppies. Nobody wants to euthanize dogs. THAT is a no-brainer!
I also know that in the case of rescuing dogs, there might not be the luxury of choice when it comes to spaying and neutering dogs. Nothing I ask, or say, in this episode is disputing that.
That being said, I believe that every person should be armed with the information they need to make the best decisions for THEIR pup. There is no going back from a decision to spay or neuter your dog, and it’s you and your dog that will experience the potential consequences of your decision, so it should be an informed one. It’s my hope that this episode will help you with that decision.
Today’s guest is Dr. Wanda Vockeroth from Healing Traditions Holistic Veterinary Clinic in Calgary, Alberta Canada. She also happens to be my veterinarian! Dr. Vockeroth is certified in veterinary acupuncture and homeopathy, and has training in Chinese herbology, osteopathy and rehab medicine.
In today’s episode we will be discussing all of the available options pup parents have when it comes to spaying and neutering their dogs. This is an extremely informative and eye-opening episode you aren’t going to want to miss!
Dr. Vockeroth’s qualifications include:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist
- Certified in Veterinary Homeopathy
- Training in Chinese Herbology
- Training in Osteopathy
- Training in Rehab Medicine
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What exactly spay and neuter procedures entail
- What a pediatric spay and neuter are
- The long term effects of pediatric spay and neuter
- How you can help your pup when pediatric spay or neuter is unavoidable
- What is pyometra and who’s at risk for it
- If neutering males can curb unwanted behaviours
- About several, lesser known sterilizing procedures
- What to look for to indicate your intact female is fertile
- The best ways to avoid an unwanted pregnancy with intact pups
- The biggest beefs of having an intact pup
- The ideal age to spay or neuter your pup
Resources from this episode:
- WEBSITE: Healing Traditions Holistic Veterinary Clinic
- FACEBOOK: Healing Traditions Holistic Veterinary Clinic
- INSTAGRAM: Healing Traditions Holistic Veterinary Clinic
- SHOP CANADA: Karen Becker’s Canine Hormone Balancer (Affiliate Link)
- SHOP USA: Karen Becker’s Canine Hormone Balancer
- BLOG: The Best Private Off-Leash Dog Parks Around Calgary
- PODCAST: The Problem With Off-Leash Parks With Natasha Mazac [Podcast Episode 025]